Wood Bar Tops
From fine commercial locations to the most discerning home interiors, The Grothouse Lumber company supplies some of the most unique and well-crafted bar tops currently available on the market today. Whether your strive to achieve a classic look with hand-crafted Chicago Bar Rail or a more contemporary serving area using exotic woods, our bar top designs are limited only by your imagination.
At Grothouse Lumber, each bar top is custom constructed to your specifications. When designing your bar, there are several generally accepted guidelines that can help you ensure that the finished product will meet your expectations:
- » Typical home and commercial bar height is 42-inches from the floor to the bar surface. Bar stool average height is 30-inches.
- » A section of the bar should be 30″ above the finished floor to accommodate wheel chairs if desired. Back bar tops are generally the same height as the front bar, but can vary.
- » Home bar tops are usually between 12- to 16-inches wide. Commercial bar tops vary from 20- to 28-inches in width, including a drink rail (or trough) on the server side of the bar. Drink rails are typically 3/4-inch deep by 4-inches wide.
- » The minimum bar top thickness is 1 3/4-inches utilizing a flat grain wood. Increased thicknesses are available using a built-up assembly or other construction styles, such as edge grain.
- » The front overhang for the patron side of the bar is typically 6- to 12-inches if you intend to have bar stools. For a standing-only bar, 6- or 9-inch overhangs are comfortable.
- » Allow 22- to 24-inches of space per person.
Chicago Bar Rail
Chicago Bar Rail by the Grothouse Lumber Company is the perfect final touch to your commercial or residential bar top. Available pre-installed as part of a custom bar or separately for installation on your existing bar top, the bar rail’s gently-shaped profile adds a classic tavern feel to the bar while keeping spills contained on the bar top.
All bar rail is hand-crafted in any of our stock species and can be stained and finished upon request to match existing decor. Mitered and radial corners are available to accommodate any potential design. Our Chicago Bar Rail is 3 1/8" total height and 5 3/16" deep. Once attached to the bar top, the profile rises 1 5/8" above the bar top. Below are several examples of our bar rail. You can also view a PDF rendering of the bar rail profile.
Mitered corner with Chicago Bar Rail
Rounded Corner with Chicago Bar Rail
Residential Bar with Chicago Bar Rail
Below are a listing of some of the options that can be used to create the perfect bar top.
To protect the rear of the bar from spills and provide a suitable space to set glasses and other materials, Grothouse Lumber can manufacture an integrated, recessed drink rail. Our standard drink rail is 3/4" deep and 4" wide, but can be customized upon request.
To provide access to the bar back, Grothouse Lumber can construct integrated drawbridge doors with pre-installed hinge hardware. While in the closed position, these areas are suitable for use by patrons or servers. In the open position, servers have direct access to the bar back / server side of the bar.
Chicago Bar Rail
Our Chicago Bar Rail is the perfect option to achieve that old-world, tavern feel on a bar top. The gently-shaped profile on the front is ideal for resting weary forearms, and the rear lip keeps spilled beverages on the bar and not in patrons' laps. All bar rail is hand-crafted in the same wood used to construct your bar and arrives pre-installed and ready to use. Grothouse Lumber can also provide curved bar rail to accomodate nearly any bar design.